CVS is rolling out a trial of a new loyalty program that has a lot of perks including free delivery of prescriptions and more.
Sound familiar? It’s already being compared to a pharmaceutical-focused version of Amazon Prime!
The pharmacy’s newest trial membership program, CarePass, offers additional benefits over and above the current ExtraCare Rewards Program.
A CarePass membership costs either $5 a month or $48 a year, but that cost is easily offset by the benefits you get with the program:
- Free 1-2 day delivery on most prescriptions and online purchases, with no minimum required
- 20% discount on all CVS-branded products, including OTC meds, vitamins, supplements and more
- A monthly $10 coupon
- Access to a pharmacist helpline
So far CarePass is only being trialed in the Greater Boston area. But CVS says it is actively looking to expand this program once all the data from the initial test run is in.
This latest CVS move comes as Amazon is shaking up the industry with new inroads into both the retail pharmacy and health care businesses.
The e-commerce giant recently acquired online pharmacy startup PillPack, and it’s also involved in a joint effort with J.P. Morgan and Berkshire Hathaway to disrupt the larger health care industry in the United States.
More health stories on Clark.com
- 7 things to know before you use GoodRx to save on prescription drugs
- Pill splitting: How I save 75% on prescription drugs
- New report: This pharmacy’s prices are cheaper than Costco