American tourist who failed to return home after her Costa Rican birthday trip is confirmed dead

By Antonia Noori Farzan | The Washington

One of the last photographs taken of Carla Stefaniak in Costa
Rica shows the 36-year-old Florida woman wearing a white spa robe
and dark sunglasses, her hair loose and slightly wavy. Sitting on
an open balcony surrounded by a lush rain forest, she holds up a
mug of coffee. It could be an advertisement for a relaxing tropical
vacation – except that on Nov. 28, the day that Stefaniak was
supposed to fly back to the United States, she never showed up at
the airport. Early Wednesday morning, she was confirmed dead.

“Words cannot express the devastation within her family and
friends,” said the announcement on “Finding Carla,” a
Facebook page where relatives have shared updates since her

The trip to Costa Rica was intended to be a weeklong celebration
of Stefaniak’s birthday. She and her sister in-law, April Burton,
had spent five days surfing, riding motorcycles, soaking in hot
springs and buying fresh fruit at roadside stands. But Burton had
needed to leave a day early, and Stefaniak had spent her last night
in Costa Rica alone.

Burton told CBS News that Stefaniak had dropped her off at the
airport on Nov. 27, then returned their rental car and taken an
Uber to a gated villa that she had found on Airbnb. At around 8
p.m. that night, Burton got a text message from her sister-in-law,
she said. “It’s pretty sketchy here,” Stefaniak had written,
saying that it was raining heavily and the power had gone out. It
was the last time that her family would hear from her.

Costa Rican authorities announced on Tuesday that police dogs
had discovered a body buried 200 feet toward the back of the
property where Stefaniak had been staying, in a hilly and wooded
suburb of San Jose. The slain woman, whose body had been partially
covered with plastic bags, appeared to have died of a blunt force
wound to the head. Walter Espinoza, director of Costa Rica’s
Judicial Investigation Department, told reporters that police had
also found stains resembling blood inside Stefaniak’s rental, and
had arrested a security guard at the property who had given
contradictory statements about her disappearance. The man, Bismarck
Espinosa Martinez, 32, had been staying in the apartment next door
to hers.

Late Tuesday night, Stefaniak’s father was allowed to enter
the morgue and view the body, the announcement posted to the
“Finding Carla” Facebook page said. He confirmed that it was
his daughter.

A native of Venezuela who immigrated to the United States in
2000, Stefaniak spent 12 years living in Tampa before moving to the
Miami area, where she worked at an insurance agency, according to
the Miami Herald. She loved to travel, enthusiastically documenting
trips to Cuba, Mexico, Iceland and Switzerland on Instagram. Her
last post, tagged from Quepos, Costa Rica, on Nov. 25, showed her
sprawled next to an aquamarine-colored infinity pool. “I’m
going to miss this place,” she wrote.

When Stefaniak failed to respond to text messages or post on
social media on Nov. 28 – her birthday – her friends and family
started to worry. “Carla is the person that wakes up and opens
her eyes and looks at her phone and literally looks at Instagram
and WhatsApp,” Laura Jaime, her close friend and former roommate,
said in an interview the Tampa Bay Times.

Jaime had planned to pick up Stefaniak after her flight and take
her out for a birthday dinner, she told the South Florida Sun
Sentinel. But even before she got to the airport, something seemed
off – why hadn’t she heard from her friend all day? Her worst
fears were confirmed when a gate agent told her that Stefaniak
hadn’t boarded the plane. Panicked, she contacted Stefaniak’s
relatives in Tampa. They, too, had heard nothing. The following
day, Stefaniak’s family launched an all-out search, blanketing
social media with missing person fliers, as her brother flew to San
Jose to meet with investigators.

Immediately, something didn’t add up: Stefaniak’s family
contacted the owner of the Airbnb property where she had been
staying and were told that a security guard had seen her leaving in
an Uber at around 5 a.m. But her flight was scheduled for 1 p.m.,
and she was only 20 or 30 minutes from the airport. “None of us
really believe this 5 a.m. story because it really doesn’t make
sense,” Burton told WTVT in a Sunday interview.

Using her work computer, Stefaniak’s friends were able to log
into her Uber account, Jaime told the Tampa Bay Times. There were
no records of her taking a car to the airport on the morning of
Nov. 28. Confronted with the inconsistency, the guard changed his
story: Stefaniak had taken a taxi, not an Uber, he claimed.

Far from providing a resolution, getting confirmation of
Stefaniak’s death now raises questions for her family, who had
previously held on to hope that she was still alive and had
speculated that she might have been kidnapped.

“In the following days, we will release critical digital leads
of the investigation, continue asking questions about the
involvement of others in Carla’s murder,” said the statement
posted to Facebook.

Source: FS – All – Interesting – News 2
American tourist who failed to return home after her Costa Rican birthday trip is confirmed dead